Friday, February 24, 2012

Chicken MOJITO

I had my first mojito with one of my best friends in Costa Rica for a summer abroad- it was amazing-- the mojito AND the summer in Costa Rica :)  So as soon as I found this recipe I immediately got brought back to that little bar on that beach that one summer I was supposed to be learning spanish but instead was learning to drive a moped on some crazy streets with a volcano in the background and learning which beers I liked the most and how to let my parents know I was still alive on some stupid calling card that only worked when it felt like it......oh good times :)


 Ok I'll hop off memory lane (although looking at those old pictures WAS pretty fun!)

We just grew some mint in our backyard and it is going absolutely crazy!  I can't ever think of anything to use mint with - beside mint juleps and racing season is pretty far off!!  When I found this recipe in Women's Health Magazine- Australia, I was super pumped!

I made only a few changes... but I cannot find the recipe on the website so won't be able to attach the link... sorry!
Chicken Mojito with brown rice and broccoli

3 cups brown rice (with water according to package instructions)
2 cups broccoli florets
1 tsp garlic salt
dash fresh ground pepper
spray olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp sugar
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch slices (or 1" cubes)
1/2 cup white rum (come on you know you have some bacardi around your house!)
1/2 cup chicken broth
juice of 1 lime
zest of 1 lime
1/4 cup mint, chopped

1.  Start cooking rice as per instructions on package
2.  Heat oil in large pan.  Add garlic, onions and sugar.  Saute 3 minutes
3.  Add chicken and saute for an additional 3 minutes, until browned, then add rum and chicken broth.  Let simmer 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, steam broccoli with garlic salt and pepper for 5 minutes.
5.  Remove chicken from heat and add lime juice, zest and salt and pepper if needed.
6.  Serve over brown rice and broccoli. Pour broth over and sprinkle with mint.
7.  EAT!!

I loved this dish!  So did hubby!  This means a winner in my book!!  It is quite easy and such a unique and delicious flavor!  I was a bit afraid the mint would be too strong but it is perfect with the sweetness - just like a real wonderfully perfect  mojito!  Hmmm... since I DO already have the ingredients out maybe I should whip one up :)  Ok, gotta go!!

ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment