Saturday, January 21, 2012

Lemon Basil Pasta with Grilled Chicken

Here is a fantastic pasta dish with the perfect blend of light flavors and rich creaminess! It is OH SO YUM!


What is also so great about this meal is---- it is just about the easiest thing to make!  Seriously!  It literally took me 15 minutes (and 10 of that was cooking the pasta!)

So..... without (too much) further ado...

I adapted this recipe from The Pioneer Woman.  I love her website and find all sorts of deliciousness there (I am pretty sure she also has a show on food network but seeing as I don't get that channel in Australia, I can't verify it!)

I did, however, attempt to make a "Lightened up" version!


1 Package pasta (whichever kind ya like!-- I like the ones that hold in the sauce real good!)
3 lemons
1/2 TBSP butter
1 can Carnation light and creamy evaporated milk (I have been subbing heavy cream for this lighter version for months now and I love it!)
1 CUP shredded parmesan cheese
20 Basil leaves
2 Chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste


1.  Cook your pasta (as the directions say on the package- usually I set the timer for 10 minutes and its perfect!!)  Once cooked save 1/2 cup of the water from the pot, then drain the rest.
2.  Grill the chicken breasts.  (or cut them in slices to cook in another pan) Season with a little salt and pepper.  Grill 10-15 minutes until cooked thoroughly.
3. Meanwhile, put the butter into a large sautee pan.  Then squeeze all the lemons into the pan and let simmer.  
4. Once simmering, turn off the heat completely.  This is for the Light and Creamy (it does not do well when it simmers so it is best to turn off the heat completely and let everything else cook from the leftover warmth of the pan)  Then add the Light and Creamy and cup of Parmesan.  Let the cheese melt.
5.  Add the cooked pasta and 1/2 cup of water.  
6.  Cut the basil leaves roughly (I had to do it fine- cause my hubby is a bit particular about his herbs! haha ) and add it to the pan.  Mix all together.
7.  Add the cooked chicken breasts.  Salt and pepper, to taste.
8.  NOW EAT!

herbs are seriously taking over our patio!!!
We have been growing all our own herbs, here at the King household.  So this was a great way to use some of our delicious basil leaves!
This meal also goes great with an Australian  beer in a "Cheers Ya'll" koozie.  True-- but probably not necessary.  I'm sure a glass of white wine would be splendid!

To me, this is the perfect meal.  It is so yummy, quick and easy but unique enough for hubby to compliment you on your fabulous "Master Chef style" culinary skills.  Of course, you don't tell him about the easy part ;)  Just smile and say thank you while you both clean your plates!

I can't wait for leftovers!!!!  Hope you enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Scott said he is mind blown by your cooking skills!! Looks yummy, can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete